So the other day I sat down with a male friend of mine who just so happens to be the best man to another male friend of mine. He is pretty daunted by the whole task, I mean these days, a best man has so many things to think about!
You're not just a drunken shoulder to lean on, or an important speech giver, you're much more than that. And with ladies being asked to be the 'best girl', this post is suitable for everyone!
Anyway, we've listed the duties tasked to the 'best man/woman' so get your pencil and paper out, here goes...
- Obviously arrange the stag night!
- Help the groom with his outfit - maybe speak with the bride too :)
- Pick out (with the help of the groom) the ushers outfits too
- Be sure to actually attend all clothing appointments
- Attend any wedding rehearsals
- Make the groom feel calm at all times!
- Stay with the groom the night before the wedding
- Get your groom to the ceremony on time
- Be in charge of any documents that are needed on the day itself
- Give out the buttonholes, orders of service etc
- Brief the ushers on their duties
- Look after the wedding rings - with your life!
- Make sure that guests know the way to the ceremony
- Give the ceremony the once over and check for any belongings left behind
- Take part in the receiving line
- Act as a Master of Ceremonies if needed
- Nail the speech
- Read any messages from far away guests that couldn't make it
- Get your butt on that dance floor and party the night away - encourage the wedding party to get up too!